Actuarial science refers to the application of statistical and mathematical methods to evaluate risk in the finance and insurance industries. Actuaries manage risk by assessing the likelihood that undesirable events will occur in the future, developing creative methods to reduce this likelihood, and reducing the negative impact of undesirable events that cannot be avoided. They play an important role in the companies that hire them, as they provide the safeguards that are required to protect companies from financial catastrophes. Those who have an actuarial science degree can find employment as actuaries, accountants, and financial analysts in insurance companies, investment banks, commercial banks, retirement funds, and consulting firms. They can also work for the state or federal government.
Actuarial Science Programs
- Purdue Actuarial Science: The web page of Purdue University’s actuarial science program.
- University of Iowa Actuarial Science: The University of Iowa has one of the oldest and finest actuarial science programs in the United States.
- FSU Actuarial Studies: A comprehensive guide to the actuarial science program of Florida State University.
- UConn Actuarial Science: The actuarial science program at the University of Connecticut provides excellent education for aspiring actuaries.
- UT Austin Actuarial Studies: Learn about the actuarial science programs that are offered by University of Texas at Austin.
- UW Madison Actuarial Science: The University of Wisconsin at Madison offers a first-class actuarial science program.
- GSU Actuarial Science: Web page that provides a summary of the master actuarial science program at Georgia State University.
- University of Michigan Actuarial Science: Find out more about University of Michigan’s actuarial science program in this website.
- Drake Actuarial Science: Complete information about the actuarial science program of Drake University.
- Rutgers University Actuarial Science: An overview of the master actuarial science program that is offered by Rutgers University.
- University of Nebraska Actuarial Science: The University of Nebraska produces actuaries who are highly sought after in the financial world.
- University of Pennsylvania Actuarial Science: Actuarial science studies from one of the nation’s top business schools.
- NYU Actuarial Science: This document provides a comprehensive description of New York University’s undergraduate actuarial science program.
- Columbia University Actuarial Science: The actuarial science program at Columbia University is one of the most prestigious in the country.
- Society of Actuaries: Official website of the Society of Actuaries.
- Actuarial Foundation: This foundation is dedicated to developing, executing, and funding programs for actuarial studies and research.
- American Academy of Actuaries: An organization that serves the American public on behalf of actuaries.
- American Society of Pension Professionals and Actuaries: This society provides educational materials, news, and other useful information for retirement plan professionals, including actuaries.
- Casualty Actuary Society: The Casualty Actuary Society is committed to promoting knowledge of actuarial science.
- Conference of Consulting Actuaries: This is an organization that seeks to advance the practice of actuarial consultancy in North America.
- Canadian Institute of Actuaries: Find information about the actuary profession in Canada in this website.
- International Actuarial Association: An association that encourages the advancement of the profession of actuary around the world.
- International Association of Black Actuaries: The International Association of Black Actuaries functions to assist black actuaries achieve success in their careers.
Actuarial Exam Prep
- Actuarial Exams: Concise description of actuarial exams.
- CERA Exams: Overview of Chartered Enterprise Risk Analyst exams.
- How to Pass Actuarial Exams?: This document provides excellent advice on how to do well for actuarial exams.
- First Actuarial Exam: A guide to preparing for first actuarial exam.
- Actuarial Exams 101: Document that provides helpful information and tips for students who are taking actuarial exams.
- Past Actuarial Exams: Database of actuarial exams and solutions from previous years.
- Actuarial Exam Questions: Sample of an actuarial exam.
- Changes in Actuarial Exams: An article that discusses the complete restructuring of actuarial exams in 2000.
General Actuarial Resources
- Be An Actuary: A website that provides helpful information for those who wish to pursue a actuarial career.
- Actuary and Actuary Jobs: A great source of information for actuaries.
- Actuary Career Info: Overview of the career of an actuary.
- Day in the Life of an Actuary: Find out what an actuary does on an ordinary working day.
- Becoming an Actuary: Document that explains how a person can become an actuary.
- North American Actuarial Journal: Excellent review of the North American Actuarial Journal.
- The Actuary Magazine: This magazine covers all aspects of actuarial studies and profession.
- Actuary Publications: List of publications by actuarial professor Krzysztof Ostaszewski.
- Actuarial Links: Lots of links to additional information about the actuarial profession.